BrunelleNation

Better than smoke signals.

Missing gold by the hair on your chinny chin chin

I was watching the Olympic games last night and I was feeling very inadequate. The contestants are getting taller, stronger, faster, savvier, there is nothing they can’t do or attain. In this environment of greatness the smallest obstacle can make the difference between setting a new world record and the gold medal and being dead last with a difference of just a few seconds between the two scenarios. And to gain the edge on those few seconds every little thing helps. There are the special goggles and funky neoprene swimming suits, aerodynamic cycling helmets, medical pain patches that make you feel like you are in heaven, and titanium necklaces that relieve neck tension, just to name a few. Miss out on the smallest detail and you are doomed. I could not believe it last night when the commentators went on and on about one of the swimmers and his beard. What is he thinking! He is going to be sorry for not shaving it! There goes his chance to make it to the podium!. And it did. Then there was a glimmer of hope. As the 4 x 100 m. relay swimmers went into the water, there was talk of unparallel rivalry between several teams but especially the French and the Americans. As the US anchorman made the last lap of the pool trailing just a nanosecond behind the French rival, a last minute effort by the American swimmer won gold for Phelps and company. After the hurrahs died down and still catching their breath from the heroic accomplishment the triumphant team was able to put in a few words of wisdom. What was going through your head as you looked to your right and saw the French man closing in on you? What powered that last burst of energy? Well, we had heard that there was talk from the French team about bringing the Americans down! We didn’t say anything we just came to the pool and got the job done! Ahhh! It is refreshing to hear that despite the neoprene and the titanium good old fashion rivalry still wins gold.

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you should get a blog. go to blogspot.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Brunelle.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service